Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Top ten records of the first half of 2010

Top 10 records for the first half of 2010

2010 has been a pretty fucking good year for music so far. Here my 10 favorite records that were released stateside between 1 Jan and 31 June 2010. As usual all were purchased on the increasingly popular vinyl format. And now, on with the list. I'll start with #1 so you don't have to scroll down to see the best record of the year so far.

1. Beach House – Teen Dream

2. Sleigh Bells – Treats

3. Phantogram – Eyelid Movies

4. Local Natives – Gorilla Manor

5. Broken Social Scene – Forgiveness Rock Record

6. Spoon – Transference

7. The Black Keys – Brothers

8. Suckers – Wild Smile

9. Charlotte Gainsbourg – IRM

10. Gil Scott-Heron – I'm New Here

5 comments:

  1. I liked the Beach House record too, but couldn't get into the Gainsbourg. I'm not sure whether it was her or Beck or the combination thereof. My favorites so far have included Quasi's American Gong and Phosphorescent's new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the Gainsbourg because of Beck's collaboration. Haven't heard the Quasi or Phosphorescent but will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love best coast's new record. it's so good! phosphorescent's mermaid parade is my favorite song of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid list, Dave, but you know I'd throw The National's High Violet into the mix. I know you wouldn't, that it's not your bag or whatevs, but it really is one helluva record. (I have the limited edition violet vinyl, natch.)

    I've mentioned that I tend to categorize music by season--High Violet will undoubtedly provide ideal companionship when the first chilly notes of fall dance on the Lake Erie shoreline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison - will have to chaeck out Best Coast and Phosphorescent

    Julie - I'm not saying the National are bad per se, just not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete